Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Art saves Lives


Jenny Doh has a theory ( Jenny is the editor  of Somerset Studios and Stampington ). She is leaving to start her new project Crescen-Doh . Jenny says many times "Art saves Lives"  this  has so often been true  for me. 17 years  ago  I went to Upstate NY and took the  Skidmore College Summer Six  ( art program) and did it in Metal Smithing . You stayed in the dorms and ate in the cafeteria. I was the only on in the program and had the studio all to myself . I worked 12 hour quite days, way into the wee hours of the night creating without anything to bother me  . Just  creating !! I had access to all the campus had to offer. I could wander off to  the fine arts painting, printing and ceramic studios and  library .Watch and visit with  other creative souls  doing the same thing. It was the best  6 weeks of my entire life and helped me focus on what I REALLY wanted from my life. I then went back home and got it!!! Fast forward 13 years and on a much shorter scale a few days at Art Fest and  the magic   happened again.  Now this coming  year I am teaching art Art  Fest a dream come true. These events pulled me out of a stuck place and helped me focus on what I wanted. It happens daily in my studio on an even smaller scale. Once again I would love to have  you share "art  saving" stories  of your own  and P.S. This photo posted today is one of the tiny pieces I made at Skidmore  College Summer Six so long along ago and  no, I did not use PMC it had not been invented yet!! Darn.... wish it had .

11 comments:

Diane said...

That must be a wonderful feeling to be teaching at Art Fest!! I love when you post your unique, fun works of art!

Swoon with Deb Hodge said...

Oh my Sweet Friend.....
I am not at all suprised that you will be teaching at Art Fest :-)
You are an amzing, one-of-a-kind, beautiful human being.
I adore you.
Much love & blessings,
Deb

Terri Kahrs said...

Julie, I'm thrilled to hear that you're realizing a dream. Congrats! *jumping up and down with happiness* Being in the Skidmore program sounds like it was sheer heaven. Thank you for sharing your journey, and I hope you have a very personally fulfilling 2010. Thank you for reminding me to "dream big"! You're an inspiration, My Friend. Hugs, Terri xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wish I could be at Art Fest ~ for many reasons. Love the 'retro' piece for NY and how fun for you to be there 6 wks emersed totally in art. Great post...very inspiring. Especially as winter settles in.
Jan

Jenny Doh said...

Thank you, Julie. Yup. Art saves. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Thank you so much for the support and inspiration, over the years, Julie. Go get 'em at Art Fest!

With gratitude,
Jenny

Mary Wadsworth said...

Wow Julie your talent is amazing.
I wish I could take a class with you.
Hope all is well with family and pets:)

Hugs,
Mary

Renee Troy said...

Always a pleasure to see where someone has started. You stayed true to yourself it seems but using new materials. I'll always love your creations and you.
Happiness, prosperity and good health in the new year, my friend. Let's talk soon about your workshop.

jone hallmark said...

I bought Somerset yesterday with your article in it.
....nice....
I think that art will "save" your life yet again, my friend. It is what sustains us in almost every way. Those who do not understand that are those who do not understand our very souls.
Life goes on and everyday still offers something optimistic and lovely.
I speak to myself, as well as you.
Missing you - a LOT!
Please stay in touch....xoxo

Jessi Nagy said...

Hey sweet cheeks
Happy New Years!!
oxoxo,
Jessi

Maija said...

I hope all your dreams come true Julie!!!

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I just emailed my art saves article for later this year. She is so wonderful and this is an inspired exercise in art history and humanity. Blessings to you.